I am so excited for La Boulange! I know there has been a bit of controversy and hesitance about this new pastry line, but everything looks so delicious and fancy. :) #tobeapartner
Disney Royal Jewels by MissMikopete
Book Ron was an interesting, attractive and relatable character, and I feel that the movies really unfairly relegated him to the position of comic relief. The dynamics of the trio had to be simplified into hero + heroine + mascot, and that robbed us of a truly fascinating character. So here are a few things you should remember:
1. He really is poor and it matters. HP may have huge issues when it comes to representations of race and sexuality, but deserves a round of applause for having a character come from a low-income background, with the fact of their poverty not glossed over but made into a plot point. JKR is really consistent about this – about the things Ron eats and wears and buys and doesn’t buy, the way he reacts when Harry unwittingly flaunts his own wealth. Poorer kids who have to go without brand name clothes will see themselves in Ron, and richer kids will learn that poverty isn’t something you deserve. Kids who empathize with Ron because he can’t afford to replace a broken wand are less likely to grow up to be assholes who complain about the extravagant lifestyle of people on welfare.
2. He has knowledge about the world. Out of the trio, he is the only real insider in wizarding society. Hermione is the one who knows magical theory and basically everything that can be found in a library. But when it comes to wizarding society and all of its habits, rules and unspoken assumptions, he is the one who can fill the other two in. Throughout the course of the septology, he does almost as much exposition as Hermione.
3. He is actually quite intelligent. Despite what the movies would have you believe, he is not dumb. He is mediocre in most of his schoolwork, and lacks Hermione’s booksmarts, but he is an excellent chess player, meaning he possesses good strategic abilities. He is the one who keeps a calm head while throttled by Devil’s Snare, and he talks Hermione through saving both their lives. He has decent observational skills, after all he was to one to spot inconsistencies in Hermione’s third-year time table. Seeing his common sense and social insight as less valuable than Hermione’s academic knowledge betrays an inherently flawed definition of intelligence. (Especially since academic knowledge tends to be gendered as male, and social knowledge as female, think of Poirot and Miss Marple.)
4. He is loyal. He is the embodiment of loyalty. The movies erase some of the most poignant moments proving this, and hand some of them over to Hermione. But it is Ron who stands in front of Harry, daring Sirius Black to kill them both, despite his broken leg. It is Ron who repeatedly defies Malfoy and even Snape to protect Hermione from verbal abuse. When his mother believes tabloid lies about Hermione, he takes Hermione’s side. When his brother tells him to stop being friends with Harry because of the political risk, he is so furious at the suggestion that he tears up the letter. He is unthinkingly loyal to his friends, this is why it is such a big deal that he leaves in the seventh book – because it contradicts who he really is.
5. He is genuinely funny. In the movies we are more likely to laugh at Ron than laugh with him, and the jokes he makes tend to be somewhat juvenile. But in the books his sense of humour evolves with him and with the reader, leading to this dry, snarky, irreverent tone that is genuinely very enjoyable. Ron is fun to read, and he sounds like someone who would be lots of fun to be around. He jokes a lot, but it is rarely spiteful, and often meant to comfort or distract someone – a proof of emotional intelligence.
6. He is kind. I don’t really how to put this, other than the fact that if Ron was a girl, he would be immediately defined as a caretaker. He stays in Hogwarts over Christmas so that Harry doesn’t have to be alone. He often acts oblivious and selfish on the surface, but ultimately he really obviously pays attention to the wellbeing of his friends. From his words and actions and body-language we can piece together the sort of person who can make life suck less just by showing up, who is always there for his friends even if he cannot do anything specific to help.
7. He has a huge inferiority complex. The movies hardly touch on it but in the books it is his main character arc. He feels inferior to his brothers’ achievements, to Harry’s chosen status, to Hermione’s intelligence. It is explicitly stated in book four that he doesn’t understand how can someone not want to be chosen. The books are far more clear in implying that he gets together with Lavander because he’s insecure about romance. The Horcrux doesn’t get to him through his love for Hermione like it does in the movie, it gets to him through the nagging suspicion that he has never been good enough for anything or anyone ever, including Hermione. And the movie laughed off the scene after the destruction of the Horcrux, when Harry finally gets how much Ron suffered of this fear of being second best and Ron gets that Harry never chose to be chosen. But fear of being inadequate is the primary driving force of Ron throughout the septology, and the movie fails to see value in Ron just as Ron fails to see value in himself: his caring, his loyalty, his wealth of non-academic knowledge and his awesome sense of humour are not tangible achievements, and they are not something somebody notices about themselves.
Movie Ron is the person book Ron is afraid of being in his lowest moments, an incompetent oaf who makes rude jokes and chews with his mouth open, somebody their friends only keep around out of pity and habit, somebody Hermione would have to settle for out of a lack of better options. But book Ron, for all his flaws, is a loyal, funny and warm person with many valuable practical skills. Also: I can imagine Hermione regularly thanking her lucky stars for ending up with someone as amazing as him.
You cannot buy electronics with food stamps. You cannot buy cigarettes with food stamps. You cannot buy pet food with food stamps. You cannot withdraw money with an EBT card (food stamps).
Do you know what else you can’t buy with food stamps? Shampoo, soap, laundry detergent, toilet paper, paper towels, tissues, tinfoil, plastic sandwich bags, toothpaste, cleaning products, tampons, pads, over the counter medications (such as Tylenol, Ibuprofen, etc.), and anything else you can think of that you cannot physically ingest for nutritional purposes.
Do you know what you can buy with food stamps? Food.
Do you know what it’s like to scrounge for change to buy non-edible necessities, use a credit card and EBT card (food stamps) during the same transaction, and then have the person in line behind you judge you for buying the ingredients to make a birthday cake?
People who disseminate false information about food stamps have never had to use food stamps.
People who disseminate false information about food stamps are shitty human beings, lets be real honest
You can’t go to a fast food joint with Food Stamps. You can’t even pick up a rotisserie chicken at the grocery store and charge it to food stamps, because it’s a hot meal. Basic, grocery food items or nothing, that’s what your fucking EBT card gets you.
I thought I was done here but I WAS WRONG. I fucking swear, it’s like these motherfuckers think you walk up to a window and say “Gee, I’m awful poor, sign me up for that Food Stamps thing, wouldja?” And the person behind the window squints at you, shrugs, and hands you a motherfucking $500 Visa fucking gift card.
THAT ISN’T WHAT HAPPENS. AT ALL. Proving you DESERVE food stamps, that you are fucking broke enough for that shit while busting your ass, is difficult, it’s time-consuming, and makes you feel like a piece of shit for needing the help. And then you. DO NOT. Get very much.
You don’t. YOU FUCKING DON’T. You get just barely enough to get you the most basic food necessities to HOPEFULLY scrape you through to next month without having to hit up three different food banks, live on ramen for a week and a half, and go hungry for three days. And you have to reapply for that shit EVERY THREE MONTHS. EVERY THREE MONTHS, you have to prove you didn’t get a fucking ten cent raise or five more hours every other week than the three months before it, and if you have, your assistance gets cut drastically, or you get denied. You get denied on making FIVE DOLLARS TOO MUCH MONEY A MONTH. That five dollars won’t make you any more able to afford to feed yourself while busting your ass at a minimum wage job, but it WILL prevent you from deserving any help at all.
I want every one of these motherfuckers to have to live on the groceries you can get with food stamps and in the circumstances that those on food stamps do to qualify for it in the first place, for a fucking YEAR, see what goddamn stories they tell then.
odairiver speaking the motherfucking truth.
Princess Barn Owls repeat pattern I whipped up for my blog. Free to use but I’d appreciate credit!
I Don’t Know How Much Vodka I Put In This But I’m Going To Drink It Anyways: a memoir
This drink tastes awful, but I can’t waste alcohol: a sequel
in the middle of a gunfight
in the centre of a restaurant
Black lesbian couple found murdered in Galveston, TX
March 10, 2014
The bodies of two Houston women, a lesbian couple, were discovered near a dumpster in Galveston County, Texas. Crystal Jackson and her girlfriend Britney Cosby, both 24, had been together for two years and lived together. Their bodies were found Friday morning next to a convenience store dumpster, reports Houston’s ABC 13.
Relatives say the two women went to Galveston for Mardi Gras. Detectives believe they were killed elsewhere and their bodies moved. Reports also indicate that they were murdered in different ways. It’s currently unclear whether this was a hate crime or there was some other motive for the murder.
“That was her girlfriend, that was her soulmate,” James Randle, neighbor to Britney Cosby, told ABC.
Investigators are looking for a silver 2006 Kia Sorrento with paper tags–a car the couple recently purchased together. It is missing and whoever took it may be the same person who took their lives, reporters say.
Anyone with information regarding the victims’ deaths or the stolen vehicle is asked to call the Galveston County Sheriff’s Office tip line at 866-248-8477.
Rest in power.
Oh god, I live here. How have I not heard about this? This is so awful, holy shit. No one is talking about this here. I swear, tumblr is telling me more shit about my area than the news.